Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Grateful, Wealthy, Blessed


A love poem to my soulmate, based on a Navajo poem. I was inspired to write this yesterday, reading some of Linda Tellington-Jones' writings in bed in the afternoon, listening to the wind, Daniel asleep beside me.
This is paraphrased from a Navajo Horse-poem.


My beautiful dog
slim like a weasel, strong like a horse
four strong agile feet, one white
from dipping in stardust
his chest painted with angels
his tail a flash of lightning
my beautiful friend
my friend has a line down his back like a serpent
the winds of time blow back his ears, his ears of silk and velvet.
and he hears me breathe
he hears me sleep
he knows my dreams and heart.

My dog with coat of copper sunlight
My dog with his elegant head
eagle gaze
my dog with his teeth made of white shell
ancient knowledge in his face
ancient wisdom in his soul.

When my dog barks, flocks of butterflies alight
When my dog sings, every forest being listens.

A long rainbow from his heart to mine
and back again
through it we speak and listen
and guide one another.
A pale gold light encircles us.
In it, all the dogs from days gone by, dance with us.

Because of him, I am wealthy.

Before me peaceful
Behind me peaceful
Over me peaceful
Underneath me, peaceful
All around me peaceful
His nose in my palm, peace is every breath and step.

3 comments:

Ellyn said...

Etheral, whimsical, beautiful...
thankyou for sharing.
ellyn

jshim said...

My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word, to make you hear, to make you feel--it is, before all, to make you see.
- Joseph Conrad

These are the words that come to my mind when I read what you take the time to share.

Cat said...

Thank you Ellyn...it's nice to feel happy for a while, and Dan is my shining light, my raison d'etre.

jshim - are you the person who sent me a lovely gift? I have no contact info and have been googling the name but not sure who I am looking for. If you are, a thousand thanks and blessings. It meant more than I can say and I would like to speak to you privately if I could?