Thursday, June 19, 2008

Grace and Gracie



So, Dan has been a major concern for me since Lila died, part of him just so sad and depressed about losing her and another part - like me - looking for some distraction. And it feels harsh, because here's me, with friends bringing food and wine and merriment, dropping off movies and calling in, emailing funny stuff, and there's Dan valiantly trying to have a good time while Mom and a few friends eat drink cry a bit and then play the Coronation Street game. I mean, he loves everything and everybody, but man - what he *really* wants is another dog to hang with.

There have been frustrations getting one over here for his entertainment and companionship.
But then, let's be grateful! there has also been Gracie. And her presence, though not as often as we'd like, cheers Dan up so much he sleeps incredibly well after a visit, instead of the tossing and turning he's been doing of late.
Gracie is a fabulous little spirit, and I have long appreciated her in her own right, not *just* becasue of the joy she brings my baby, but as a wise, funny and unique little being. Tough, smart, humorous, I guess I can forgive her being SUCH a Daddy's girl. I admit, a couple fo times while she was here and Dan in a testosterone FRENZY, humping in the air and looking past me with glazed eyes and tongue grazing the floor, I felt badly that I'd even asked Donna and Wayne to bring her. but, lately Dan has settled down a lot(knock wood) - not to mention, this little girl can handle herself! So I feel less stressed that he is too much for her. To be fair, Gracie's a bit of a tease, snapping Daniel into line and then, when he backs off, inciting him back to frenzy-land. Well, they seem to have to worked out. They seem to have fun, and the frantic humping has greatly diminished. watching the two of them race around the yard is just too funny for words.

Gracie has brought grace to our humble abode whenever she has visited, and endured the (largely) unwanted advances of a 2 year old Ridgeback with very poor dating skills. She has cheered him up, made me laugh, and lightened the atmosphere every time she's visited. I love the way she requests TTouch from me - sitting with her back toward me and her funny, expressive ears pointing in all directions, seemingly at once - I start to work her back and she almost freezes to the spot, head occasionally turning to consider the effect the circles and lifts are having. I just love Gracie, the Flea McGee. She is the first lurcher I have personally known, and if she's any indication of what lurchers are like, I will hope to know many more in the future.

Thank you, Gracie, for being who you are, and for the special energy you always bring when you visit. Please come more often..

No comments: